Friday, January 1, 2010

Tatuaje Verocu Tubo


Today's review is of the new Tatuaje Verocu Tubo, my first cigar of 2010! This, along with the Black Tubo I also reviewed are re-releases of blends that have been used before, but in a different size. This torpedo measures in at 6 1/8X52, and like all Tatuajes, is a Nicaraguan Puro. The very dark and oily wrapper on this cigar is flawless. Construction-wise this seems perfect, no soft spots and rolled with care. I love the way the red band looks against the dark wrapper, and the 2nd band that says Verocu Tubo is a nice touch. Just like the Black Tubo, I love the packaging on these. I can't decide which is cooler looking, the red or the black tubos!

The draw is perfect, and shows crisp tobacco and musty earth flavors. Even after just the first draw, I know I am going to enjoy this cigar. This tastes exactly how I expected it to, just like the other Verocu blends (the East and West coast editions released in 2007 and the current no.9 carried by Holts). This is showing plenty of complexity, with cedar, classic Tatuaje spice, leather and earth. The burnline is starting off a little wavy, and the ash is very white and solid, hanging out for about around an inch. I would say this is a solid medium bodied cigar. After a quick touch up with my torch, the burn got back on track without any further issues. My only complaint is that after I took off the bands, the wrapper swelled in that spot and cracked, but I was able to smoke through it without it falling apart on me.


Yet again, another great cigar from Pete Johnson/Pepin. The Verocu blend is fantastic, and the wrapper on this cigar is just stunning to look at (and it tastes damn good too!) This cigar is very smooth, with loads of cedar, earth, leather and of course some spice mingling around in there. These retail for $11 and are available in boxes of 10, and course they are limited like the Black Tubo. These are a few bucks cheaper than the Black Tubos, but you won't be let down by either of them! I have one of these left, and after smoking this one, I am going to need to get my hands on a few more.

No comments: